Types and Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Toledo, Ohio
Perhaps the most important element of your case is who or what caused the accident. Once your attorney establishes cause, it’s possible to determine who is responsible and hold that party accountable for compensating you for your injuries.
If you or a family member has sustained serious injuries in a motorcycle accident, call or contact the Toledo, Ohio, law offices of Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, LLC.
- T-bones — These violent accidents occur when two vehicles collide at a 90-degree angle. These types of accidents usually happen at intersections when one vehicle runs a red light or stop sign. When a motorcycle “tees up” against the side of a car, the rider can be catapulted over the car and sustain serious injuries upon hitting the road surface. If a motorcycle “tees up” against a truck, the rider can either be pinned beneath the undercarriage or slam violently against the side wall. If another vehicle “tees up” to a motorcycle, the bike and rider can be knocked across the intersection or pinned under the front end of the vehicle.
- Rear-ends — A distracted or inattentive motorist may not notice a motorcycle in time, or may misjudge the stopping distance, striking the rear of the bike when the rider slows down.
- Sideswipes — Inattentive drivers may not notice a motorcycle in an adjacent lane and may brush the bike while making a lane change, especially when attempting to pass another vehicle. Sideswipes can also occur when riders split lanes, especially in traffic jams when impatient motorists make abrupt lane changes without signaling.
- Wipeouts — A rider can lose control because of rider impairment or abrupt maneuvers by motorists. Inclement weather, road conditions and hazards created by slick metal, such as metal plates, train tracks or manhole covers, painted letters and directional arrows, or oil slicks can also be factors.
- Failure to yield — One of the most common causes of a motorcycle accident is a driver’s failure to yield the right of way to a bike. Hasty and inattentive motorists making right turns onto freeways often do not see a motorcycle coming until it is too late.
At Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, LLC, you receive personalized service from hands-on attorneys committed to building the strongest case possible to obtain the recovery you deserve.
Trial Lawyers Since 1973
For a Free Consultation, contact us online
Get the determined legal assistance you need for your motorcycle accident claim. Call our Toledo, Ohio, law offices or contact us online for a free consultation. Our personal injury lawyers handle motorcycle accidents on a contingent fee basis — you pay no attorney fees unless we obtain a verdict or settlement in your case.