Bowling Green, OH Personal Injury Lawyer
Every day, people in and around Bowling Green are severely injured in accidents that are no fault of their own. These accidents can take many forms, including slip and fall accidents, car crashes, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and dog bites, but they all share one thing in common; when they are caused by someone else’s negligence, Ohio law allows victims to recover compensation for their losses.
At Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, LLC, we know how devastating accidents can be for victims and their families, and we have the understanding and experience necessary to get our clients the compensation to which they are entitled. We will review the facts of your case at no cost to you and will only collect legal fees if we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with an attorney.
When You Might Need to Speak with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been injured and believe that another party is at fault for your injury, it can be beneficial to outline the details of your situation with a personal injury lawyer. These attorneys work with people who have been hurt by the negligence of another person, and a skilled personal injury attorney can fight to get the compensation you deserve. Some of the common injuries that people hire a personal injury lawyer to help with include but are not limited to:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Dog bites
- Physical attacks from another person
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
Often, someone who is working through a serious injury is not sure of why their legal rights are. For this reason, they might end up paying for medical bills and other expenses for which they could have received compensation. Some of the compensation that a personal injury lawyer can help you obtain might be:
- Current medical expenses
- Lost wages due to time missed from your job
- Lost potential earnings, especially if you are in a sales-related job and are unable to earn the commission you might have been due had you not been injured
- Future damages (including ongoing medical expenses and loss of income)
In addition to outlining the potential damages that you are due and establishing the total value that will be pursued by the claim, a personal injury lawyer can help:
- Outlining the claims process for their clients – for those who are not familiar with the legal system, the idea of initiating a personal injury claim can be daunting. An experienced attorney can help ease your mind by explaining what you can expect throughout the process.
- Communicating with the insurance companies – after an accident, it is common for the insurance adjusters from both your insurance company and that of the at-fault party to attempt to connect with you in order to collect a verbal statement. These calls can feel intrusive, especially when you are trying to focus time and energy on healing from your injuries. Even worse, if you are not familiar with the claims process, there is a chance you might say something that an insurance adjuster will try to use against you in the effort to minimize the monetary value of your claim. An experienced attorney can speak with the insurance companies on your behalf so that you don’t have to worry about this.
- Advise you on important steps to take to help support your claim – there are several things that you can do to help support your claim. Likewise, there are certain actions that might hurt your claim. One example of a suggestion that your personal injury attorney might suggest is to seek immediate medical attention if you haven’t already. Documentation and testimony from a doctor who has examined your injuries can help strengthen your request for just compensation after an accident or personal injury.
Process of Working with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If this is your first time working with a personal injury lawyer, the process of even making that first phone call and showing up for an initial consultation can seem incredibly daunting. Luckily, walking through the door might be the most challenging part. The process of working with an attorney can help to relieve a significant burden because they will be your advocate during this time. You might experience some of the following steps after reaching out to a personal injury attorney:
- Make an appointment for an initial consultation – in your initial consultation, you will meet with the attorney and explain the details of your claim, explaining the extent of your injury and why you believe another party is at fault. You can expect that the lawyer will ask additional questions and possibly outline how they can see the claim proceeding.
- Agree on a fee structure – after you have met with your personal injury attorney and decided to work together, this might include a retainer, a set amount for the case, or a system where you only pay if your attorney is successful in obtaining a monetary settlement.
- Communication throughout the process – most attorneys will keep you updated on any information that is related to your claim, so you are aware of where the claim stands.
- Provide requested documentation – throughout the claims process, you might be asked to bring any evidence or documentation that supports your claim. This could include statements from those who witnessed the accident, photos, and medical records.
- Decide on a settlement – once the at-fault party or insurance company offers a settlement amount you and your attorney will discuss whether to accept this or to request additional compensation. Once you accept a settlement, your case is typically closed. It is unlikely to re-open a case after a settlement is reached.
Contact a Bowling Green, OH Personal Injury Lawyer Without Delay
If you have been injured at no fault of your own and believe that another party is liable, it is important to understand your rights. While it might seem intimidating to reach out to speak with a personal injury attorney, this is one of the first steps in obtaining the compensation you to deserve to help get you back on your feet. At Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, LLC, our team of skilled lawyers can help protect your rights to a just compensation package. When someone else is at fault for your serious injury, the last thing you’ll want to do is go through the claims process on your own. Let us help. Contact us today to schedule a free initial appointment to discuss the details of your accident. We can help work through the process together so you can focus on rest and recovery.