Best Accident Attorneys Toledo
Recently, car accidents have been on the rise across the United States. Early this year, the Wall Street Journal reported that deadly accidents were up 10.4 percent in the first half of 2016. This brings fatal car accidents to their highest level in nearly a decade. Northern Ohio has not been exempt from this disturbing trend. In the unfortunate event that you or a family member has become one of the victims, you should contact the best Toledo auto accident attorney as soon as possible. .
Why Do Car Accidents Occur?
Car accidents take place for a wide variety of different reasons. To get better perspective on the issues, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released a detailed report on motor vehicle crash causation. According to the NHTSA, the most common causes of car accidents are as follows:
Single car accidents
- Failure to stay in the lane (24 percent)
- Excessive speed (21 percent)
- Obstructions, including animals, in the road (14 percent)
- A driver following too closely (20 percent)
- A driving failing to yield (18 percent)
- A driver running a red light or stop sign (10 percent)
What are the Most Common Car Accident Injuries?
Car accidents can lead to many different kinds of injuries. Additionally, car accident injuries can vary considerably in their level of severity and permanence. Some of the most common car accident injuries that we see include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones;
- Joint injuries;
- Whiplash and other soft tissue damage;
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis;
- Internal bleeding;
- Organ injuries; and
- Wrongful death.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Car Accident?
Whoever is to blame for an auto accident can be held legally liable for the damages related to the accident. This includes both drivers as well as vehicle and auto parts manufacturers. In the state of Ohio, accident responsibility is based on negligence. To prove negligence, your Toledo car accident attorney will need to prove each of the following four elements:
- The defendant had a duty to look out for your safety;
- Through their actions or inactions, the defendant breached that duty;
- There was a causal link between their breach of duty and your injuries; and
- You sustained real compensable damages in the vehicle crash.
What Compensation is Available for the Accident Victims?
Toledo accident victims are entitled to recover compensation for the full value of their damages. This includes recovery for any intangible losses as well as reasonably anticipated long-term damages. Our firm has helped accident victims seek financial recovery for:
- Emergency room fees;
- Medical bills;
- Rehabilitative costs;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Counselling and therapy sessions;
- Lost income; and
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
It is a sad reality, but the big insurance companies rarely treat accident victims fairly. At Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, LLC, we help car accident victims fight back. If you have been injured in an accident in Toledo, please call our office today at 419-241-5500 to find out how we can help you. Initial legal consultations are always free of charge.