116 W. William Street Maumee, Ohio 43537
Free Consultation

Blog Post

can a insurance company double dip??

by onJuly 21, 2014

Under Ohio law, all automobiles registered with a license plate and operated on the roads are required to have automobile insurance. As owner of the vehicle, you are responsible to ensure that there is proper automobile insurance for the driver and/or the vehicle if it is going to be operated on the roads.
Likely, the insurance company filed a security suspension against you for the damages it paid to the other driver. You would have received notice of this from the BMV, with an opportunity to request a hearing within 30 days of your receipt of that letter. You most likely could have had the suspension reversed if you could show either 1. the damage was paid in full by your son, or 2. that you could not be held liable for the damages caused by son in a court of law. Most likely, because your son is an adult, you could not be held civilly liable for the damages unless you negligently entrusted the vehicle to your son or he was working for you at the time of the accident.
Unfortunately, if you fail to contest the suspension within the 30 day period, you have failed to exhaust your administrative remedy of appeal, and are most likely stuck with the suspension until you pay the damages in full. If there is still time to appeal, you should consult with an attorney immediately to request a hearing on your suspension.



Feel Free To Ask a Question - LGS