Causes of Truck Accidents in Toledo, Ohio
If you’ve been seriously injured in a commercial truck accident, you want the responsible party to be held accountable. Under the legal theory of respondeat superior, Latin for “let the master answer,” the company is responsible for the actions of its employees. So, if a truck driver or anything to do with the truck is responsible for your accident, you likely have a claim against a company, not just an individual driver.
If you or a family member has been seriously injured in a commercial truck accident, call or contact the Toledo, Ohio, law offices of Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, LLC.
At Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott, we’ve been managing commercial truck accident cases successfully since 1973. Our personal injury attorneys have experience establishing the causes of semi, big rig and tractor trailer accidents, such as:
- Overly fatigued truck drivers — The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration sets limits on the number of hours a driver can operate a big rig. A trucking company is responsible for keeping its employees under the limit.
- Tire blowouts — Tire failure can be attributed to poor maintenance on the part of the company or a defect for which the tire manufacturer could be responsible.
- Improperly loaded or secured cargo — Loading companies that stow cargo negligently, causing a rig to swerve or tip, can be held responsible for an accident.
- Brake failures — This is another area where maintenance or manufacture might be faulty.
- Unskilled driving — Companies that hire incompetent employees can be liable for negligent hiring and supervision.
- Motorist negligence — Truck accidents are not always the fault of the truck. Many motorists disregard safety precautions when driving in proximity to semi trucks, forcing the truck driver to react abruptly and triggering an accident.
What are the limits of a truck company’s liability for its employees?
Under the theory of respondeat superior, a company is generally not held to account for deliberate or illegal actions by its employees. A company is responsible if an employee’s aggressive driving causes a crash, but not if the same employee deliberately rammed a car in a fit of road rage. Grey areas like these make it vitally important to have an experienced accident attorney on your side.
Trial Lawyers Since 1973
For a Free Consultation, contact us online
Toll Free: 1-800-637-1549 | Toledo: 419-241-5500
Get the experienced representation you need for your commercial truck accident case. Call our Toledo, Ohio, law offices or contact us online for a free consultation. Our injury attorneys handle truck accidents on a contingent fee basis — you pay no attorney fees unless we obtain a verdict or settlement in your case.